Hello lovely readers, and welcome to 2017!
It’s Katarina here, and I want to talk about a few of my favorite things: goals and plans. If you know me or my family (well, one half of it), you know that lists and planning reign supreme. More than one panicking moment has been resolved by the creation of a list, and Colin has been known to calm me down by suggesting we start a list when I get overwhelmed. What can I say? I married someone who truly gets me.
As someone with a type-A personality, planning always calms me down. On top of that, I’ve discovered that having achievable goals in the last few years can be very motivating for me. In 2014, Colin and I worked out every day for 100 days straight. In 2015 and 2016, I completed a novel-length manuscript in the month of November as part of National Novel Writing Month. We trained for and ran a 5K this year, something I never thought I would do. Goals are good. Goals are my friend.
So, it’s not entirely surprising that I also like New Year Resolutions. While I have a few that aren’t very concrete (be more appreciative, for example), I found it’s good to have ones I can check off the list. Here are a few I want to keep this year:
- Try new things in the kitchen. Learn to make different types of food, from hand made pasta, to croissants, to some of our favorite Indian and Chinese dishes.
- Keep up my writing habits. Write at least a few times a week, whether for a project, this blog, or using a writing prompt.
- Read diverse books. This means books by diverse writers, in different genres, and with varying subject matter. I’d also like to read a book set in each new country that we visit, as well as several set in Berlin.
- Finish a half marathon. We’re all signed up to return to Paris to run with my sister in September, so that means a lot of training in the coming months.
- Upload my photos in a timely fashion. With all the travel we do, I’m about seven months behind on curating our thousands of photos. I love sharing them, so I need to be more timely about this!
- Grow the blog and reach out to other bloggers. There’s a great community out there that we still need to tap into!
We’ll obviously also be traveling, but we only have a few trips planned (a Mediterranean cruise with Colin’s parents in May, and Paris, London, and Ireland with my brother and sister in September), so we have a lot of trips to figure out.
So this is where you come in! Help us plan for 2017 by answering a few of our questions:
- What are challenges you really like? Any that you completed and felt awesome about?
- Which books should I read? What are your favorites recently?
- What cuisine should I make? Should we blog about it?
- Which blogs should I be following?
- Where should we travel to? We have all of Europe in our backyard – what shouldn’t we miss in 2017?
We’d also love to hear about your resolutions and goals. We’re all in this together, and we’re going to show 2017 who is the boss!